Today’s lesson will be on a subject everyone’s heard about, but don’t necessarily have knowledge about- its obesity. Unfortunately this health issue is not rare in the United States, a whopping 1/3 of the population suffer from it and with all the fast-food places opening it doesn’t seem like too much of surprise. Being able to understand the problem is one step in helping to resolve it. So sit back, snack on something healthy, and read on. .
There are two terms we’ll get out of the way: “obesity” and “overweight”. Before you say anything, they are not the same. The way to tell is using the Body Mass Index chart, or BMI chart. The BMI is calculated by dividing your weight in pounds by your height in inches squared, then multiplying that by 703. Once you’ve got your number, here’s an idea on where your body is at:
- Underweight: BMI Less than 18.5
- Healthy weight: BMI 18.5-24.9
- Overweight: BMI 25.0-29.9
- Obese: BMI 30.0 or greater
What can obesity cause? Obesity can cause major health concerns including: coronary heart disease, cancer, strokes, type 2 diabetes, and osteoporosis. Each one of those is a heavy duty problem. But wait! Don’t panic! Here’s how you can help your body.
- Reduce your calorie intake (don’t eat too much)
- Exercise a little bit every day. Go for a walk with your dog, or with a friend. Try getting into a habit of doing this for 30min each day to burn off any excess calories hanging around.
- Perhaps the most important- EAT FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. If you don’t like fruit, each vegetables. If you don’t like vegetables then vice versa. Now, if you don’t like both (it’s going to be a tough life), learn to love them.
Making decisions to eat healthy can be an issue for some people, but don’t let it become a permanent obstacle. Don’t let anything get between you and a healthy life. Let’s say you’re around an area that has high produce prices and plenty of fast food to fit your budget. Look to the smart choice. From what we’ve learned eating unhealthy can cause problems. Look to your local supermarkets, go for their weekly ad and amaze yourselves with the discounted produce/vegetables. Then create a menu around the discounted prices of produce/vegetables. There should be no reason to not eat healthy. Your brain will thank you for it, your body will thank you for it, and your life will thank you for it.